Vision is to exploit particularly onshore the stronger and more persistent winds in altitudes up to 500 m using innovative airborne wind energy systems to make a significant contribution to alternative energy production and to preserve fossil fuels.
Advantages of AWE-sysems
- Use of a “unfinite” and free renewable energy source: wind
- Lowest material consumption for electricity generation compared to all other power plant types
- Optimal use of the wind potential through adjustable height
- Great availability and eccesability to higher wind speeds through the characteristics of wind in altitudes
- Mobile and short term installation possible
- Off-grid or grid-tied at nearly all site conditions applicable
- Low levelized cost of energy
Conventional (towered) wind power plants are limited in height for constructive reasons. Therefore, they cannot be deployed for those applications. This is where the concept of High Altitude - / Airborne Wind Energy systems is introduced.
For a modern 7 MW wind power plant nearly 5,000 tons of material is used. Considering the fact that the outer 20 % of the blades, the fastest moving part, generates > 60% of the entire power it´s only the next logical step to use only a fast flying device. This is the concept of airborne wind energy.
Tower, foundation, and nacelle and a big share of airfoil mass are obsolete. An AWE system requires only 1 % of the mass of a conventional 7 MW wind power plant.